Inequities in the interaction with and treatment by the criminal justice system are among the most widely discussed equity issues in the U.S. today. The Data Center presents data that helps illustrate disparities related to criminal justice.
Youth Risk Factors
- Students who have carried a weapon not for hunting outside of school ever
- Students who have ever taken a weapon to school
- Students who have taken part in a fight in the past year
- Students who have been stopped by the police in the past year
- Students with at least one parent incarcerated in the past year
What is this section about?
Data describing youth behavior and experiences related to weapons, violence, and the police are important not just for understanding current trends, but as indicators of potential future and increasingly serious interactions with the criminal justice system. Understanding discrepancies by race, sex, and age is key to identifying and rectifying both implicit biases and shortcomings in support.